The current personnel employed in the Beijing office provide ongoing support in maintaining existing relationships as well as market intelligence to China House.
Chambers & Company is a Melbourne-based corporate/commercial law firm with offices in Beijing and Melbourne. Chambers & Company enjoys a reputation for excellence in advising Chinese State Owned Enterprises and private Chinese corporations on their projects in Australia and elsewhere. The firm’s differentiation is its specialist expertise and experience developed since 1984 on cross-border transactions with China where we have been at the forefront of their major resources projects in Australia.
Chambers & Company has some of the most extensive expertise and experience among Australian law firms in advising Chinese SOEs on their projects in Australia over a 30 year period. The firm was appointed by the Chinese Government as their lawyers for China’s first major overseas project, the A$420 million Channar Joint Venture with CRA Ltd (now Rio Tinto) in 1984. This project is regarded as one of China’s most successful overseas projects and is regarded as the ‘model’ joint venture for Chinese resources projects in Australia.
Over the past 10 years, with the massive expansion of iron ore projects in Australia involving Chinese steel mills, Chambers & Company has been the lawyers on six more iron ore projects involving Chinese enterprises. The sales contracts for these projects exceed A$30 billion.
Chambers & Company has worked on numerous ground breaking in-bound projects for Chinese clients in Australia including, in addition to iron ore, copper, lead, gold, zinc, tin, silver, uranium, coal, coke, vanadium and other metals, minerals and industry sectors. The firm has also acted for Australian, European and US clients in China. We have a 100% success rate on securing Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approvals for Chinese SOEs investment in Australian projects.
Chambers and Company has a formal affiliation with Chadbourne & Parke LLP which brings a major global resource. Chadbourne & Parke is a leading Wall Street law firm headquartered in New York and has offices around the world.
More than just a law firm, Chambers & Company also provides advice on project management, due diligence, government compliance and act as a facilitator of major deals. Chambers & Company is dedicated to supporting China in making successful outbound investment through China House Consultancy.
- Appointed as lead lawyer to the Chinese Government’s A$420 million Channar joint venture investment in 1984 which was China’s first major overseas investment.
- Appointed as lead lawyer for four of China’s largest steel mills on the Wheelarra joint venture with BHP Billiton, which is China’s largest operating joint venture in Australia. The contracts for these two projects exceed A$30 billion.
- Appointed as adviser on 6 other iron ore projects in Australia involving Chinese steel mills.
- Appointed as adviser to Sinosteel on China’s first uranium project in Australia signed in April 2007.
- Appointed as adviser to Yunnan Tin Company Group Limited, the world’s largest tin producer, on China’s first resources Australian IPO in May 2007.
- Appointed as adviser to numerous Australian and US corporations on a range of Chinese joint ventures during the 1980’s and 1990’s.
- Appointed as adviser to General Chemical Corporation of the United States on its major joint venture with one of China’s largest chemical producers based on the transhipment of a chemical plant from Michigan to China in the period May 2003.
- Appointed as adviser to Cryogenic Fuel Technology Pty Limited on its coal bed methane project in Henan Province in September 2008.
- Appointed as adviser to a German waste oil recycling company on its waste oil joint venture in China in 2009.
- Appointed as adviser regarding Chinese investment in the $5 billion Oakajee Port and Rail Infrastructure Project in Western Australian in October 2009.
- Appointed as adviser to China National Electrical Engineering Corporation on its EPC for an $850 million clean coal project in Australia in October 2009.
- Appointed as adviser to Yunnan Tin on its acquisition of a major Australian tin project in October 2009.
- Appointed as adviser to Wuhan Iron and Steel Group Corporation, one of China’s largest steel mills, on its two most recent iron ore projects in October 2009.
- Appointed as adviser to Risun Chemicals Group Limited, China’s largest coke producer, on an Australian coal project in 2010.
- Appointed as adviser to Henan Yuguang, China’s largest lead producer, on its Australian lead joint venture in 2010.
- Appointed as adviser to Sinosteel on the Australian law aspects of its IPO on the Shanghai Stock Exchange in October 2009.
- Appointed as adviser to the Bank of Communications on its financing of an African iron ore project in 2010.
- Appointed as adviser to Sinosteel, China’s largest iron ore trader, on its Extension Joint Venture for the Channar iron ore project in 2010.
- Appointed as adviser to WISCO on its Port Joint Venture at Port Spencer in connection with Eyre Iron Joint Venture with Centrex Metals.
- Appointed as adviser to a major Chinese State Owned Enterprise in connection with a take-over of a major listed Australian copper gold company.
- Appointed as adviser on a proposed joint venture with a major Chinese State Owned Enterprise of a rare earth project.
For more information about Chambers & Company, please click here.